Monday, October 5, 2009

Classical Music

On Saturday night, the boyfriend and I went to Rotterdam, to the famour concert hall called 'de doelen'. It's just as ugly as the Philharmonie in Berlin - maybe a tad bit uglier. But the sound was pretty neat.

Beethoven Ouverture Die Weihe des Hauses
Kurtág Songs of Sorrow and Despair
Beethoven Symfonie nr.9

Die Weihe des Hauses - we missed part of it cause we were a tad bit late. But at least we got pretty seats because of it - last box on the right. Great view, great sound.

Songs of Sorrow and Despair by Kurtag...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurtag - yeah, sorry, but that contemporary stuff isn't for me. I might have to listen to it a few more times, but jesus, tough on the ears.

I love Beethoven's Nr. 9, I love classical orchestra music. If you compare the regular pop music to classical orchestra music, it's like 1-D vs. 3-D.

I mean, look at it - in Popmusic, there's a few bits you punch into your pc (I know, I know, it's not THAT easy) and then, on the other side, it's a new song. Tadaa! Here we go, who do we make famous today? I do like popmusic, don't mind a bit of 'Barbie Girl' or 'Hit me baby one more time'.

But it just doesn't move me like classical music - when the strings dwell up to make you feel like you're drowning in sound, it tingles your spine and I feel like I'm hugged by music, so tight that it makes me dwell up.

The Moldau, by Smetana, is one of my favorites. Close your eyes and let the music take you on a journey. The way Smetana makes you feel like you're floating on the Moldau, how the scenery changes with the difference in sounds and instruments...how the emotions change.

These guys, these composers where truly genius. If you ever get the chance to look at scores for big orchestras and choirs, it's amazing how they managed to make it all sound so amazing. So perfect.

I need to get back into the routine of enjoying at least one classical concert per month. In Berlin it was the season ticket to the Opera, let's see what I can find here.

Take the time to listen to classical music and let it give you goosebumps and tingles in your spine...start with easy composers, not the heavy Wagner things. Maybe Bach, maybe Beethoven. It's beautiful, and uplifting. True work of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment