Sunday, October 25, 2009

My first week at my new job

Yes! I finally scored a new job. After a few months without an income (yet working my butt off at the construction site), and hardly interesting jobs out there (unless you like to to work as a call center agent, insurance sales person or internet website sales person?) plus a mild work related midlife crisis, I finally found something I cared and felt passionate about.
The few jobs I applied before this job were mild disappointments - either I didn't get a reply at all (way to go, Greenpeace) or I was overqualified - which is such a stupid thing to give as a reason. Yes, maybe my experience is too deep/wide/vast for the job, but wouldn't it be better to have someone who's interested and smart enough to connect the dots without needing a manual WITH pictures to do it? I guess not. Also a nice thing to hear: why don't you go for a senior consultant role? Your experience is great and you'd be a perfect match for that? Um..because I might want to get out of that area? Out of the working my ass off, 60-80 hours on average per week, travelling at least three times per month area?

Well, yes, I'm sure there are other consultancies out there, but somehow, I don't have the faith in it anymore. Plus, I'm tired of working for some company that doesn't really care about their customers OR employees, who wants to just make profit, profit, profit. Yes, that might have to do with my experiences at my previous employer. But - I've decided that if I can't say anything good about someone/something, I'd rather say nothing at all.

Aaanyways. So I saw this ad at Lush, they are looking for an assistant manager at their shop in Den Haag. I've been addicted to Lush, their lovely products and very friendly staff since I first set foot into their shop in Guildford, UK, about 5 years ago. I love the concept of no animal testing, their absolute gorgeous products and always said: I'd love to work for them one day.

So, I sent an email (already in June) to apply, had an interview, liked it, had a trial day, liked it again, and then was told that unfortunately, someone from within the company had applied and they had gotten the job. Understandable, to be honest - that person had been tested already and obviously done a good job - so why 'risk' taking someone from outside the ocmpany? Ok, it was in June, JUST before we started the reconstruction. Lucky for us I didn't get the job, cause otherwise I wouldn't have been able to do so much on the apartment myself.

Anyways, just when we were about to finish, there was a new job opening at Lush Den Haag, again for Assistant Manager. I applied again, spoke to their retail manager again, was invited to the interview (6 people in a group interview in total, no real competition apart from one girl), did a trial day so the new manager (who was the previous assistant manager that got my job) could see me, too, and then was offered the position. Woohoo! I started last Monday with a Christmas Products training day.

So I was sitting with all these other 'Lushies' in a studio in Amsterdam, and with every minute of the training, I was more convinced that I did the right thing for me.

It started with a short intro into what Lush is, what the policies and ethics are that the company believes in and stands for, and how they ensure that these policies and ethics are followed and lived thoroughly throughout the company.
Like no animal testing, and not buying any of the ingredients from companies that test on animals. Like spending a proportionate share of the earnings/profits with charities, and not just 1% of the overall profit and then boasting about it. I also liked the people that came over from the Uk team to introduce us to the new christmas products, and tell us about how they started their life at Lush. Very down to earth, yet slightly crazy people - the kind I could identify myself with it. Plus, they were passionate about their job and the company they work for. Isn't it nice to meet people that believe in what they are working, and that enjoy getting up for work every day, instead of rather staying in bed?

So, after I learned more about the other side of the company - so far, I've loved Lush as a customer (never had a bad experience with the shop or the products, the people that worked there were always friendly and fun) and was a bit worried what the 'other side' would look like...but, so far, it sounded all very promising. I loved the other Lushies - mostly students, a lot of crazy styles, some boring people like me, but all fun and open. Relaxed people to work with - woohoo! Oh, Lush hires a lot of activists (former or still active) that are in line with the ethics and policies Lush represents, and supports activist groups that make people aware of what's actually going on (google plane stupid and Lush, as an example).

Aaaaaanyways, at the end of the day we all got a lovely box to take home - it had all the christmas products in it. Soo exciting. Even ze boyfriend got curious and is now testing all the bits and bobs with me. He loves the fact that I found a job I can be passionate about, and a company I can identify with.

Yes, yes, of course, being an assistant manager at Lush doesn't require the skills I've developped, or the education I've had. But it is a fun job, I won't kill myself doing it, and it will enable me to slowly grow and potentially get ahead in the company. I think it's a good opportunity for me. Until the, I'll sell soap, ballistics, shower gels and manage the team of the shop. They are all very lovely girls (and a boy) and love their job. It's so nice to work with people who enjoy what they are doing!

So, we had a VIP Christmas Party this week (I was ruby red slippers, dressed in all red with sparkly Dorothy Shoes) and hit all our daily targets- and even exceeded them. It's going to be a good month for us, and hopefully we can continue that trend and kick some ass with great service and awesome products. I ordered all my christmas gifts already and also have a new favorite Shower gel - it's called The Olive Branch. Absolutely lovely!!

The first was was tiring (being on my feet all day), very fun (I learned so many new things), inspiring (met a ton of new people) and I am so looking forward to work again tomorrow.

I know, I know - we never know how long it will last, but it's a nice feeling to have found something I can relate to. I love it!

2 comments:

  1. People now a days like to work in a Call center company. I don't know why but everyone seems want to be an agent. For me it's just the last resort for people who can't find a job or is too lazy to work according to their studied field. Well, we can never blame them, it's really hard to look for a job and they will stick to the one that is available and easy to find. Call center outsourcing is the best business to have. Nice income and it's not hard to find employees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most people I know that work or worked as call center agents hate it - understandably. Most of them don't get training, have to take all the abuse from customers (cause, let's face it, most of them work in the 'complaints/escalations' section)and are so easily replacable...*sigh* definitely not for me!

    ReplyDelete