Friday, October 2, 2009

An Ode to my friends

I'm sitting on my couch, the apartment is pretty much finished (yes yes, apart from the bathroom, but that will come) and I'm watching 'What happens in vegas'

It's a funny-ish movie, I do like Cameron Diaz. Ashton Kutcher...yeah, well.

I missed the very beginning of the movie, but then they started with partying in Vegas. I realized how much I miss partying with my friends, specially my girlfriends. I remember the days (Gosh, I'm old!) when we went from party to party. Or jesus, the long weekend in Cancun (back when I lived in NC)...totally crazy, but so.much.fun.

Or the festivals I used to go to -no shower but so much fun for 4 days. God, I loved it.

Moving countries is fun, cause you always meet new people - a lot enrich your life, some are like white noise that fades away quite quickly. Some stay, some don't.

Lately, I miss having my girls around. I love my boyfriend, he is my best friend - just not one of the girls.

Having great friends is amazing - but it hurts when they are far away. It's like a part of me is missing.

I remember the time I had my first motorbike -and my best friend rode bitch and her parents weren't allowed to know. When I had my car driving license - the freedom we felt! The world was our playground - although we didn't manage to get further than the next big town...

These experiences together are memories that shaped me. Made me into who I am.

The worry in my friends' faces when my parents picked me up at a party when I was so drunk (for the first time) that I could barely stand.

The big world-destroying fights we had, the days of silence that felt like weeks, months, if not lifetimes.

The understanding without words, the laughing fits we had for no reason other than being silly girls. Making movies while sitting on the grounds, pretending like we have a camera in our hands: oh looks, butts and knees and feet and butts and feet and knees... again, followed by hysterical laughing fits.

Making first contact with losing a close friend was tough, and still makes me sad when I think about it. They were to young to go- I guess these days where the time when I first started thinking about the religion and faith I was brought up to believe in, and then deciding that it's not for me, and that it's all rubbish.

The unconditional love for and from the people I call friends.

I didn't care about where they came from, whether they were rich or poor, stupid or smart (ok, I never had patience for stupid arrogant people, I'll admit that), what political interests they had and whether they'll ever get outside the country. We lived for the weekends, who cared about school and careers and all that? Ok, yes, some of them did, but they were the boring ones....let's face it.

Life was simple then.

Yes, as probably everyone, I got disappointed and betrayed by someone I thought was my friend - hurting so deeply, literally feeling like I hit the wall at full speed. Again, this shaped me, too.

Getting drunk on one drink (that was bottomless, though) at a bar around the corner, until 3:30 am in the morning on a Wednesday...just because we could. Going clubbing until the birds started singing.

Sleeping until 4pm on a Sunday in the middle of summer cause we went out until stupid o'clock.

I am what I am because of the people surrounding me.

I don't have many friends, but the few people I call friends are treasured and loved and cared for. No matter where I am.

Being an only child, the people I call my friends are my family, my siblings.

It is hard to make new friends because not many can reach to my standards - the standards I have now because I have had the chance to meet great people, and be part of their lifes.

It is important for me to remember that once in a while - or rather, I remember it all the time, yet forget to tell them as much as I should. Life's too short to not tell people you love them.

1 comment:

  1. It says something when your personal barkeeper calls you to tell you that he misses you...

    I miss our Wednesday night sessions too!

    ReplyDelete