Thursday, October 1, 2009

Life is good!

We picked up the boyfriends car from the garage tonight, as it had decided to be a real biatch on the ride home from Germany last Sunday. Imagine you had a lovely yet VERY EXHAUSTING long family reunion weekend, and you're looking forward to a swift 3 to 4 hour ride home so you can enjoy a cup of tea at the beach before the new busy week starts. You leave the family at around 3:30pm because you want to avoid crazy traffic. As we all know, Dutch motorists suck at driving, and Germans are just totally mental on the Autobahn. So - it's always a risk. But what can one do...
Anyways, so, imagine you're exhausted thanks to lack of sleep and slight family overload. You get on the motorway, put cruise control on and cruise gently along the Autobahn.

Until...all of a sudden, there's a lamp on the dashboard that didn't light up before. Hmmm...hey, boyfriend, what's that little sign there? No idea, so let's stop at the next rest area.

Ok, we did. And read the manual. Bought a magazine (shiny, me), candy (me), drinks (me) and motoroil (the boyfriend). Filled up the oil (boyfriend) and ripped open the candy so it was all over the car (well, me).

Then I tried to start the car again, and it started to die again right away. Question mark in the face of my boyfriend who was standing outside to listen to the sounds and stare the problem down. Retry the start. Same again. I panick A BIT, call my dad, he says: let the car sit for 20 minutes and try again. Ok, I try again after 20 minutes (and all the candy) and it starts, but is really not steady. We manage to head out. Then, we analyze and realize that we can't stop. Even with the clutch down all the way, the car will stall and then just not start again for 20 minutes. Maybe more, maybe less. FUN! And so no pressure.

Ok, we drive. There's a traffic jam coming up. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun! I exit the motorway, manage to take the detour and navigate through lovely little towns, always on the edge and SLIGHTLY panicky with a valium-infusing boyfriend on the side. I manage well under pressure, just DON'T TALK TO ME OR ASK ME ANY QUESTIONS. So, we drive in circles for roughly an hour, then the boyfriend takes over, we figured out what to do to avoid it stalling (switch ac off, and open the windows - it was bloody warm still!).

We were home at 10:30pm. Another 7 hours on the road. It's a tad bit fast than last time, when we needed 7.5hrs.

Aaanyways, back to the title story.

We picked up the lovely car from the garage after the boyfriend was done with work (thank Smart Betty is so reliable), took the bus into town, went shopping (almost all for boyfriend, just so you know!!), then had lovely sushi, walked around town for a bit (I paraded around in my fancy schmancy new jeans) and then took the bus home.

Now I'm sitting on the couch, enjoying a cup of tea and loving my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment